Friday the 13th - The Legend
- If 13 people sit down to dinner together, one will die within the year.
- If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck (Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names).
- There are 13 witches in a coven.
- Never change your bed on Friday; it will bring bad dreams.
- Don't start a trip on Friday or you will have misfortune.
- If you cut your nails on Friday, you cut them for sorrow.
- Ships that set sail on a Friday will have bad luck - as in the tale of H.M.S. Friday ...
- One hundred years ago, the British government sought to quell once and for all the widespread superstition among seamen that setting sail on Fridays was unlucky. A special ship was commissioned, named "H.M.S. Friday." They laid her keel on a Friday, launched her on a Friday, selected her crew on a Friday and hired a man named Jim Friday to be her captain. To top it off, H.M.S. Friday embarked on her maiden voyage on a Friday, and was never seen or heard from again.
- Many buildings don't have a 13th floor.
- The Turks so disliked the number 13 that it was practically expunged from their vocabulary (Brewer, 1894).
- Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue.
- The rapper Tupac Amaru Shakur died on Friday, September 13, 1996.
- Hurricane Charley made landfall in south Florida on Friday, August 13, 2004.
- The "Friday the 13th Storm" struck Buffalo, New York on Friday, October 13, 2006.
- The Andes Plane Crash of 1972 occurred on Friday, October 13, 1972.
- Unix time reached 1,234,567,890 seconds on Friday, February 13, 2009.
- There is an actual phobia named Paraskevidekatriaphobia which describes people afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th.
The ridiculous medical study
Believe it or not, in 1993 there was a study published in the British Medical Journal titled "Is Friday the 13th Bad for Your Health?" . WTF?
Their conclussion is even funnier.
"Friday 13th is unlucky for some. The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52 percent. Staying at home is recommended."
It looks that since people are superstitous they behave strangelly on Friday the 13th because they believe something terrible might happen to them. So they drive like dorks and statistically they cause more car accidents.
update 14/5: moved the H.M.S. Friday from facts to legend, I guess the legend worked on me :) thanks to joecodeit for the correction